How much is too much chocolate for a dog

Some foods are very dangerous for dogs, even though they are enjoyed by humans. Remember to store your chocolate bars and treats very carefully in an inaccessible place. The risks are very important, because, depending on the portion ingested, your dog can die. Chocolate is therefore "poison", especially because of its concentration in Theobromine which can cause a heart attack.


The potential risks of chocolate for my dog

Not all animals react the same way, this is due to their size. Indeed, the smaller they are, the higher the risk, because the concentration of Theobromine is much higher in their body. A precision is necessary, because it is not really the chocolate which is dangerous, but the cocoa. The higher the quantity, the more problematic it is for your pet. Certain symptoms should alert you, such as sudden and pronounced hyperactivity. Because of this ingredient, your dog will have a tendency to change his behavior in a few hours. He will also experience severe diarrhea, vomiting, increased heart rate and increased urine output. Some animals have a fever and very intense breathing.

It is important to know that 25 grams are enough to poison a 20 kg dog. The same amount can kill a small animal such as a Jack Russell Terrier, a Yorkshire or a puppy.


What should I do if my dog has ingested chocolate?

Symptoms appear between two and four hours depending on the portion and size of the dog. He may then convulse and have very pronounced heart problems. If, for example, he only ate a small square, don't panic, the quantity is usually not enough to be fatal. Here are two guidelines that should help you adopt the right behavior. Call the veterinarian to find out what to do if your pet has eaten:

- More than 10 grams of milk chocolate per kilo of body weight
- More than 2 grams of dark chocolate per kilo of body weight

White chocolate is safe, and if the amount of the other two is less than stated, your pet should not experience any symptoms. However, there is no antidote to treat your dog, the only method used by the veterinarian is to induce vomiting so that the chocolate is expelled. This procedure must be performed within two hours after ingestion. Time remains a crucial factor in this situation, so don't hesitate to go to the veterinary emergency room if you are unsure.


What can I replace chocolate with if I want to give my dog something sweet to eat?

Sugar is harmful if consumed frequently, but you can occasionally give him jam, honey or maple syrup. Maple syrup can be mixed with kibble if your dog has difficulty finishing his bowl. However, sugar cubes are not recommended, as they can cause digestive problems such as diarrhea and vomiting.


How do I choose the best diet for my dog?

For me, the easiest way is to trust the recognized professionals of the sector. This gives you the assurance to give your dog the right products while simplifying your life. For example, I recommend Ollie products.

It is a company with an excellent reputation that prepares customized recipes for your dog, 100% fresh and delivered directly to your home.