Can i give my dog candy

Are there reasons to panic when your pet has ingested candy? Of course there are! Candies are highly toxic treats for animals, so it is essential not to leave anything lying around so that your dog does not eat them, and above all not to include them in his diet.

If you have children, make them aware. They could give it to their companion, thinking it would please him, without knowing that it could lead to his death. However, the risks depend on the ingredients present in the candy.


The potential risks of candy for my dog

Not all candy is toxic, depending on what it contains. In this case, the first ingredient that comes to mind is chocolate. Very dangerous for his nervous system, chocolate candies should be crossed off the list of treats.

On this list, we can add other sweet treats, like those containing grapes or xylitol. These two ingredients are also among the foods to be avoided for the dog. Whether they cause death, convulsions or liver damage, they should definitely be removed from the dog's diet.

In general, sugar can cause weight gain or diarrhea, so it is essential to avoid giving him sweets. Moreover, he can become diabetic because of the sugar present. This is another reason not to give him any candy, no matter what the occasion.


What should I do if my dog has ingested candy?

When in doubt, don't let it get the better of you. So, if your dog has swallowed a piece of candy, call a veterinarian right away. He or she will ask you a variety of questions, including what ingredients were in the swallowed candy. Depending on your dog's condition and the answer you give him, he will tell you what you should do.

Poison control centers can also assist you if your pet has accidentally ingested a candy. In all cases, you must act immediately. Candy can cause too much damage to your pet to leave it alone and not intervene. It would be unfortunate if something happened to your pet because you left a piece of candy lying around and it ate it.


What can I replace candy with if I want to give my dog a treat to eat?

Sugar is particularly dangerous for dogs, especially when given in large doses. Between candy and chocolate, your pet can quickly encounter serious health problems, or even die. It is therefore advisable to think of giving him something else to congratulate him or simply to please him.

For the sweet side, you can be sure that fruits will be excellent replacements. Among them, we think of course of strawberry, watermelon, raspberry, mango and pear. By including them from time to time in your dog's meals, you are opting for a healthy and balanced diet, rich in vitamins.

In some cases, you will also be giving your dog a good dose of water, which is very beneficial.


How do I choose the best diet for my dog?

For me, the easiest way is to trust the recognized professionals of the sector. This gives you the assurance to give your dog the right products while simplifying your life. For example, I recommend Ollie products.

It is a company with an excellent reputation that prepares customized recipes for your dog, 100% fresh and delivered directly to your home.